Sunday, February 8, 2009

Bushfires.

Sitting here watching the fire and the smoke peaking over the hills, feeling really stupid I didn't volunteer for the CFA yet, I've felt I need to do everything I can in any way in order to help people who have been affected by the Victorian Bushfires of which are still going on.

I've decided that I will donate my blood to the Red Cross as well as clothes to them and the Salvation Army. It's not a big help, but I think if it can help even just the smallest bit then I will do it. I keep watching the live feed about where the bushfires are and how well they are being contained/controlled by our amazing protective services and just about break into tears when I see the death rate rises.

I was in fear for my own property and life this weekend, and luckily the fires have passed my house but of course are still not very far away. I have many friends in Kilmore and my family has friends who live near Kingslake (one of the most affected areas) and I am glad to hear they are okay for the time being. It's so scary to think that places like Marysville are completely gone, with the exception of the bakery and the two houses up on the hill behind it. It's devasting to realise that people are dying, and the toll is increasing in numbers. What I have to remind myself is that efforts are not futile and things are being done to stop the fires to continue burning and they will eventually stop.

I honestly can't wait to help out, I'm feeling better just thinking about it. Tommorrow I am going to clean out my cupboard and find so many things to give away. I don't care how much blood they take from me, as long as it's helping someone else, I just don't care... they can take as much as they need, others need these things more than I ever will.

1. Real Time fire updates with Google Maps

2. Wikipedia Current Article that updates reguarly with information and statistics

3. CFA Incidents Summary Page

I've been on these three websites today and they have helped me keep up to date with information.

I'm not much of a religious person but I think I might pray tonight for the first time in a long time.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. I heard the death toll today got a lot higher... It sent shivers down my spine...
    I may sign up for a blood donation too. i think there's one at la trobe i might check out. Lord knows that they need all the help they can get...

    ReplyDelete